Nov 18 , 2020
A Definitive Guide to Understanding and Nailing No-Shave November
It is that time of the year again when temperatures across the US drop, and so do the razors. Yep, No-shave November is here! Many of you know the phrase as a popular hashtag; some consider it an excuse to forgo grooming altogether; however, it is much more. The gesture of not shaving in this particular month is both meaningful and profound.
No-shave November was started in 2009 by 2 Americans to spark a conversation around men's health and cancer, specifically. The trend encourages men to stop shaving and use the money they'd use for grooming supplies to raise funds for cancer patients and cancer care. The act of letting your hair grow is equivalent to embracing your hair in all its glory, something that cancer patients can't participate in due to the degeneration of their health, resulting in hair loss.
Men's health has been an incredibly overlooked topic. Men also don't visit doctors as often as women do, which puts them at greater risk of a late diagnosis of deadly conditions. As we indulge in the yearly no-shave November ritual, we must remember what it stands for. It doesn't hurt to have fun, but at the same time, we here at Gentsscape want to make an actual difference in men’s health by spurring a conversation around this serious topic.
If you're participating in this critical cause and don't know where to start, here are some rules and pointers to help you through the hairy month:
- You can start the month with a clean slate. So, if you shaved on October 31st, it's fine as long you don't touch the razor for the next 30 days.
- You are allowed to use grooming products. Not shaving doesn't mean that your beard has to be unkempt. Don't forget; hygiene is sexy.
- Washing, cleansing, and moisturizing your beard should never be ignored and more so during the winter months. During November, you should have products that provide hydration as an arsenal to brave through the dry and cold weather.
- It is possible that you have a strict dress code at work and can't participate. Other forms of participation are acceptable, and you can use this month to talk about the cause and encourage fellow men to take their health seriously.
- All men are welcome to be part of the cause. If you cannot put the razor down, you can purchase our products. We donate $1 of every purchase to the Prostate Cancer Foundation, an organization engaged in early detection of prostate cancer and saving the lives of men who suffer from it. Also, you can make a general donation to show support.
Once November is over, you have the choice to keep the beard or shave it off. Whatever you decide, remember to keep your skin and face protected with the right products and pledge never to neglect your health. If you're taking part in No Shave November, don't forget to tag us on our Instagram. Until next time, be aware and stay dapper.